What excites you about adult learning and education?
"Without the contributions from adult learning and education it would be impossible to think of Permanent Education as a process of humanizing human beings and of transforming the social world."
Why did you choose to do research in the field of adult learning and education?
"At the age of 22 I was chosen to work in an adult education research project by the University where I was finishing my graduation course. Fourty two years later I feel more motivated to continue."
Licínio C. Lima is Professor of Sociology of Education and Educational Administration at the Department of Social Sciences of Education at the University of Minho. He was Head of Department (1998-2004), Head of the Unit for Adult Education (1984-2004), Director of the Research Centre for Education and Psychology (1994-1997) and Director of the PhD in Education. Various European and Brazilian universities hosted him as a guest professor. Further is he an author of many academic works, which are published in thirteen countries, including more than thirty books.
Theories for international adult education - Paulo Freire
In this heavily theory-based class for doctoral students, the participants focus on Paulo Freire’s theories for international adult education. The participants will develop a theoretical-analytical perspective.
They will focus on much more specialised theoretical knowledge to be able to synthesise different perspectives systematically and theoretically. The theoretical insights during the first week are accompanied by field visits to adult education providers in and around Würzburg. Furthermore, presentations of international adult education associations are organised (e.g. EAEA, ICAE, UNESCO Institution for Lifelong Learning).
- LIMA, L. C. (2021): Educació d’adults: democracia, ciutadania i emancipació. Quaderns d’Educació Contínua [Valência/Espanha], 45, 43-53.
- LIMA, L. C. (2020): Educação Permanente e de Jovens e Adultos: Crise e transformação. São Paulo: Intermeios.
- LIMA, L.C. (2020): Adult learning and education in diverse communities: Cultural invasion or dialogical action for liberation? R visiting Freire's Pedagogy of the Oppressed. In: NÉMETH, B. (Hrsg): Between global and local: Adult Learning and community’s network. Learning and living in diverse communities. Pécs. S. 115-131.
- LIMA, L.C. (2018): Três razões para estudar Freire hoje, para além da mais óbvia. In: GADOTTI, M.; CARNOY, M. (Hrsg.): Reinve tando Freire. São Paulo. Brasilien. S. 29-36.
- LIMA, L.C.; GUIMARÃES, P. (2016): Recognition of prior learning at the centre of a national strategy: Tensions between professional gains and personal development. In: Journal of Adult and Continuing Education. UK. Heft 22. 1. S. 29–45.
- LIMA, L.C.; GUIMARÃES, P.; TOUMA, N. (2016): Adult learning and education policies in Germany, Portugal and Sweden: An analysis of national reports to CONFINTEA V. In: EGETENMEYER, R. (Hrsg.): Adult Education and Lifelong Learning in Europe and Beyond. Frankfurt. S. 29-65.
- LIMA, L.C. (2016): Evaluación hiperburocrática. In: Professorado, Revista de Currículum e Formación del Profesorado. Granada. Heft 20. 3. S. 87-118.
- LIMA, L.C. (2015): A Avaliação Institucional como Instrumento de Racionalização e o Retorno à Escola como Organização Formal. In: Educação e Pesquisa. São Paulo. Heft 41. S. 1339-1352.
- TORRES, L.L.; LIMA, L.C. (2015): Research into Educational Management in Portugal: Themes, focus and methodologies. In: ECPSEducational, Cultural and Psychological Studies. Rom.Heft 11. S. 193-205.