The „Research Centre for Historical Visual Media” under the direction of Dr. Ina Katharina Uphoff is located at the Institute of Pedagogy at the University of Würzburg. This research centre houses Europe’s most extensive collection of school wallcharts including special literature concerning all school subjects covering a time span of 150 years.
- Digitisation and research of historical visual media, international networking and research cooperation
- Third-party funded research projects on a national and international level (see projects)
- Preparation of image and text data, provision of images for research and exhibition purposes (e.g. culture-, art- and media historical research centres, museums)
- Support of research and teaching; mentoring of bachelor’s and master’s thesis; supervision for dissertation projects
- Continuous additions and expansions of the image and literature inventory
- Expansion of educational offerings at the archiv
As a result of the interdisciplinary and international focus, the Würzburg research centre works with various other research institutions and museums in and outside of Germany. These include various educational, creative and cultural science institutions of universities, as for example the Research Library for the History of Education in Berlin (BBF). One of the collaboration partners is e.g. the Natinoaal Onderwijsmuseum in Dordrecht, Netherlands.
In the past few years, well-known museums have used images from the “Research Centre for Historical Visual Media” for permanent and special exhibits, as among others the Deutsche Historische Museum in Berlin, the Schirn Kunsthalle Frankfurt, the Deutsches Hygiene Museum Dresden or the Militärhistorisches Museum der Bundeswehr.