"What excites me most about the field of adult learning and education is its huge variety around the world that we can witness, analyze and compare. As a field of research, ALE offers the possibility to look at it from different perspectives, through many ‘lenses’, analytical concepts and frameworks that we can choose from. Working on ALE internationally opens one’s mind and academic focus to the many differences and similarities, and this can prosper you as a person in the world as well."
Jan Schiller is employed at the Helmut Schmidt University/University of the Federal Armed Forces Ham-burg, Germany as a doctoral student and research assistant of Prof. Schmidt-Lauff. His doctoral thesis describes temporal agendas and their impact on education policies in higher education as well as on organisations and learners. He is engaged in the international ERASMUS+ project INTALL (formerly COM-PALL).
Jan has published on
- media and intellectuality
- quality control and evaluation
- online education and blended learning
- European education policies
- continuing and higher education
- temporal aspects of education.
CG1: Resource mobilisation for lifelong learning under the sustainability framework
Several stakeholders complain about limited, insufficient and decresing resources for Adult Education (AE), Adult Learning (AL) and Lifelong Learning (LLL) initiatives in general, and during crisis situations (like Covid-19) in particular. Relying on resource allocation where the control is political (based on compromises rather than scientific evidence or humaitarian conerns) makes AE, AL and LLL initiatives vulnerable in the long run. In contexts where AE, AL and LLL initiatives are given lower priority for various reasons, merely their continuity becomes a challenge , leave aside the expansion of their scope and enhancement of their quality. The adoption of the sustainability framework for policies (and thereby resource allocation) globally, characterised by a focus on balanced economic growth and measurement of outcomes in terms of their contribution to the same in the post 2015-period, has further created barriers in securing a smooth flow of resources for AE, AL and LLL. Thereby, exploring the possinilities for resource mobilisation becomes crucial for the AE, AL and LLL stakeholders. Key international organisations including the OECD, the ILO, the UN and its Angencies and the World Bank Group have provided recommendations for resource mobilisation in several policy areas including education. How relevant and sustainable are such recommendations in national contexts? This group intends to do comparative research on resource mobilisation for AE, AL and LLL and develop the capability among participants to understand the challenges and possibilities for resource mobilisation for Adult Education, Adult Learning and Lifelong Learning globally under the sustainability framework.
For more information about the comparative group have a look at our programme!
- SCHILLER, J. (I.E.): Bildung für eine ungewisse Zukunft. Bielefeld: WBV.
- SCHILLER, J. / FREILING, F. / MASSONNE, W. / BENNENSON, Z. (2019): Berufsbegleitendes Studieren an Universitäten. Ein Zukunftsfeld für die IT-Sicherheit. In: Informatik Spektrum, 42, 1, S. 38-47, doi: doi.org/10.1007/s00287-019-01145-6
- SCHILLER, J. (2018): Einsatz und Nutzen von Policy-Analyse in der Hochschulweiterbildung am Beispiel Studium Initiale, in: Klenk, J. (Hrsg.): Weiterbildung an Hochschulen gestalten. Fallstudien aus Baden-Württemberg, Bielefeld: WBV, S. 91-100.
- SCHILLER, J. (2018): Werte und Einflüsse europäischer Bildungspolitiken. In: Hessische Blätter für Volksbildung 3/2018, S. 224 – 234. DOI: DOI: 10.3278/HBV1803W.
- SCHILLER, J. / SCHMIDT-LAUFF, S. / CAMILLONI, F. (2017): Comparing temporal agendas of policies and institutions in (work related) adult education. In: Egetenmeyer, R. & Fideli, M. (eds.). Adult Education and Work Contexts: International Perspek tives and Challenges. Comparative Perspectives from the 2017 Würzburg Winter School. Frankfurt am Main e.a.: Peter Lang, S. 25-40.
- SCHILLER, J. (2017): Gestaltung und Integration propädeutischer Weiterbildung in bestehende Hochschulstrukturen. In: Sturm, N. / Spenner, K. (Hrsg.): Nachhaltigkeit in der wissenschaftlichen Weiterbildung. Beiträge zu Verankerung in die Hochschu strukturen. Wiesbaden: Springer VS.